Wednesday 21 January 2015

Prepositions in relative clauses Exercise

Prepositions in relative clauses
Rewrite the sentences using informal English.
a) Jessica is looking for a briefcase. The briefcase is on the table.
The briefcase …
b) This is the new president. We all voted for him.
This is …
c) I didn’t recognize the girl. I had talked to that girl at Paul’s house.
I didn’t recognize …
d) This is the house. Susan was born in that house.
This is …
e) I took some money from a man. I can’t remember the name of the man.
I can’t remember …
f) Barbara is dancing with a boy. The boy is a friend of mine.
The boy …
g) He works for that company. The company has gone bankrupt.
The company …
h) She had lunch with a boy. The boy is her boyfriend.
The boy …

Answers below

1 comment:

  1. Prepositions in relative clauses
    Rewrite the sentences using informal English.
    a) Jessica is looking for a briefcase. The briefcase is on the table.
    The briefcase … (that / which) Jessica is looking for is on the table.
    b) This is the new president. We all voted for him.
    This is … the new president (who / that) we all voted for.
    c) I didn’t recognize the girl. I had talked to that girl at Paul’s house.
    I didn’t recognize … (who / that) I had talked to at Paul’s house.
    d) This is the house. Susan was born in that house.
    This is … the house (which / that) Susan was born in.
    e) I took some money from a man. I can’t remember the name of the man.
    I can’t remember … the name of the man (who / that) I took the money
    from.
    f) Barbara is dancing with a boy. The boy is a friend of mine.
    The boy … (who / that) Barbara is dancing with is a friend of mine.
    g) He works for that company. The company has gone bankrupt.
    The company … (which / that) he works for has gone bankrupt.
    h) She had lunch with a boy. The boy is her boyfriend.
    The boy … (who / that) she had lunch with is her boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete